Number of users on SCO

Sean Eric Fagan sef at kithrup.COM
Fri Jun 28 18:46:19 AEST 1991

In article <665 at fudd.dataco.UUCP> campbell at bung.UUCP (Duncan Campbell, VOR) writes:
>Howdy, can anyone tell me how many user accounts SCO SystemV 3.2.2
>can support?  100? 1000? more? less?  Just accounts, not simultaneous
>use.

Assuming infinite disk space, it should be somewhere around

	a)  65435:  2**16 (65536) - 1 - 100 (you shouldn't use a UID
		of less than 100; they're "reserved" by AT&T)
	b)  Infinite, it you choose to share UID's.  Actually, not
		infinite, as the passwd file (etc.) has a limit of
		less than 4Gigabytes (maximum filesize determined by
		the hardware [32-bit ints and longs], kernel, compiler,
		and filesystem).

I have heard of, through various customers I communicated with (back when I
was at sco, that is) of people having upwards of a thousand accounts on the
system (although only a few would be in use at any one time).

--
Sean Eric Fagan  | "What *does* that 33 do?  I have no idea."
sef at kithrup.COM  |           -- Chris Torek