FAS 2.09 PROBLEMS

Uwe Doering gemini at geminix.in-berlin.de
Fri Jun 28 05:15:52 AEST 1991

bill at unixland.natick.ma.us (Bill Heiser) writes:

>I installed FAS209 a couple of days ago, and ahve been experiencing
>problems.  Out-dialing seems to work OK most of the time, although
>I've experienced a number of "lost line" messages from UUCP.
>
>Inbound calls seem to be experiencing difficulties -- now when someone
>calls in via uucp, for example, a couple of login banners appear, and
>then a string of bell characters (control-G's).  Then it just hangs
>and times out.

This looks as if your modem throws some junk characters at getty,
which thereafter is too confused to let you log in. Are you sure
that your modem is quiet by default (`ATE0Q1')?

On the other hand, I've seen this behaviour myself when I dialed
up a _non_-MNP modem with an MNP modem. The MNP modem sends out
a test sequence to let the remote modem know that it wishes to
establish an MNP connection. This test sequence looks to a _non_-
MNP modem like a string of garbage characters, which it happily
passes to getty. getty then behaves the same way as you described.

Maybe something other than just FAS changed in your configuration
at the same time. All I can say is that I've never seen such
behaviour of FAS (or rather getty) without an external cause for it.

      Uwe
Uwe Doering  |  INET : gemini at geminix.in-berlin.de
Germany      |  UUCP : ...!unido!fub!geminix.in-berlin.de!gemini