AT&T clean UNIX

Geoff Steckel - Sun BOS Hardware CONTRACTOR gsteckel at vergil.East.Sun.COM
Sat Jun 29 07:19:09 AEST 1991

In article <8127 at spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun at spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>dab at ubitrex.mb.ca (Danny Boulet) writes:
>>While reading my latest UNIX World last night, I noticed a small article
>>in the Newsbytes section that told of a company (Berkeley something or other)
>>which is hoping to have a clone of BSD UNIX ready for shipping in September.
>>The article claimed that the clone would not have any AT&T code in it.
>>This would allow them to sell the system (including full source) for an
>>introductory price of $995 (later to rise to $1,995).
>
>_Allow_ them to sell it at this price, notably higher than any existing
>386-based Unix O/S products?  And using the word Berkeley in the company
>name is just plain un-cool:  I hope the folks at the real Berkeley cry

Hmmm - full source included for $1000?  Sounds >>GREAT<< to me.  ATT/UI
are up at $60000, $80000, going up... (I don't remember exactly what a
Missed'em V source licence costs these days).

It's not even out of range for 386 BINARY releases, if it includes full
development tools, etc., etc., the whole thing that the bean counters
nickel-dime-and-$500 you to death over.  You can easily pay that for
ISC, etc., if you want a full system.

I don't think it's a bad price at all.  More than I'd LIKE to pay, but
for any sort of commercial work it's OK.  I would assume that binary
licenses would be cheaper.
	geoff steckel (gwes at wjh12.harvard.EDU)
			(...!husc6!wjh12!omnivore!gws)
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Sun Microsystems, despite the From: line.
This posting is entirely the author's responsibility.