Patches To G++ 1.39.1 And Libg++ 1.39.0, Part01/03

Hongjiu Lu hlu at yoda.eecs.wsu.edu
Fri Jun 14 09:47:22 AEST 1991

Here is the first part of the patch to g++ 1.39.1 and libg++ 1.39.0 for
AT386 clone running AT&T UNIX SVR3.2.2 with the native assembler and
linker. It may work for SVR3 from ESIX, SCO and ISC. You have to try it
yourself. The main benefit of this is you can use all system libraries
without even worrying about the format, including the shared libraries.

The first part is for gcc 1.39. You have to apply it to gcc 1.39 source
code first. BTW, you have to get gcc 1.39 source code to compile g++
1.39.1. After restoring the g++ 1.39.1 source code, in the directory of
g++ 1.39.1,  type
	mkdir config
Then apply the second part of the patch to g++ source code. The third
and last patch is for libg++ 1.39.1.

There is one file in g++ 1.39.1 with name of more than 14 characters
and lots of them in libg++ 1.39.0. I fixed the one in g++, but it is
very hard to fix libg++. Those patches are only used for those
directories which have no file with long name.

After all the patches being applied, you can follow the instructions to
build your own g++ and libg++. Your targets of g++ should be g++,
cc1plus and collect, which is the default after the patches are applied.

To make g++ work on an at386 you have to define COFF, USE_COLLECT and
BROKEN_RELOCATION_LD in "Makefile". Also you have to define either
UNUSUAL_COFF_DEFINITION or BROKEN_GCC_OK_SYMBOL. I suggest you try
UNUSUAL_COFF_DEFINITION first and use BROKEN_GCC_OK_SYMBOL as the last
resort.

I made some changes to gcc.c.
(1) I added one macro, LOCAL_LIBRARY_DIRECTORY, which is used to define
    the default local library directory. Ld now will check it in
    addition to /lib and /usr/lib. This macro HAS to be defined in
    "Makefile" through the variable "locallibdir". The one I use is
    /usr/local/lib. You can use whatever you want. I put libg++.a
    in it so that I can use
	g++ -o xxx xxx.o -lg++ -lc_s
    without -L/usr/local/lib
(2) I took -lg++ out of gcc.c. The main reason to do that is when you
    use -lm or -lc_s with g++ you have to also add -lg++, like
	g++ -o xxx xxx.o -lg++ -lm
	g++ -o xxx xxx.o -lg++ -lc_s
	g++ -o xxx xxx.o -lg++ -lm -lc_s
    Without -lg++, like
	g++ -o xxx xxx.o -lm
	g++ -o xxx xxx.o -lc_s
	g++ -o xxx xxx.o -lm -lc_s
    g++ won't work. It is very likely you want to use the shared
    library and need to use math library. So now you have to add -lg++
    to the g++ command line, which you didn't have to do before in some
    cases.
(3) During the final stage of linking, now g++ will try to link
    everything from scratch plus the data for global constructor and
    destructors.

Some changes are also made to libg++ 1.39.0.
(1) Since there is no flock() in AT&T SVR3.2.2, I added one macro,
    DO_NOT_HAVE_FLOCK, to the variable OSFLAG in "Makefile". Check your
    reference manual to see if you have flock(). If you do, undefine
    it.
(2) One USG related bug is fixed. There are no random() and srandom()
    in USG, but rand() and srand() instead.
(3) Bcopy.c in ./src/ didn't compile and I don't like the code. I
    substitute it with my own code. If you don't like it, define
    USE_GXX_BCOPY in OSFLAG and try to fix the code yourself.
(4) I removed the definition of COFF in ./src/gnulib3.c and added one
    condition in ./src/xyzzy.cc, which is not needed for COFF. So now
    in "Makefile" you have to define COFF as XTRAFLAGS.

H.J. Lu
---------------------- CUT HERE----------------------------------
diff -rc g++-1.39.1.old/config/tm-att386.h g++-1.39.1/config/tm-att386.h
*** g++-1.39.1.old/config/tm-att386.h	Wed Jun 12 16:06:56 1991
--- gcc-1.39/config/tm-att386.h	Wed Jun  5 18:09:50 1991

  /* Define the syntax of instructions and addresses.  */

+ /* G++: ATT assemblers *do not* allow '$' in symbol names. (u3b, i386, etc.) */
+ #define NO_DOLLAR_IN_LABEL
+
  /* Define some concatenation macros to concatenate an opcode
     and one, two or three operands.  In other assembler syntaxes
     they may alter the order of ther operands.  */