TLI service question

Bill Kennedy bill at wrangler.WLK.COM
Mon Jun 3 04:11:14 AEST 1991

This is not a TLI uucp question but I'm using TLI uucp as an example
to illustrate my question.  I've conquered HoneyDanBer over ethernet
and I'm ready for more, but I seem to be staring at a blank wall.

I have TLI working very nicely for RFS and uucp amongst an NCR Tower,
3B2/310, and Interactive 386en.  Here are the entries in the dbf file
for the "net_spec" I'm using:

101:n:listen:reserved:NULL,:/usr/lib/uucp/uucico -r0 -iTLI -u ussbn	#ssbn
102:n:listen:reserved:NULL,:/usr/lib/uucp/uucico -r0 -iTLI -u udunsel	#ssbn
104:n:listen:reserved:NULL,:/usr/lib/uucp/uucico -r0 -iTLI -u usentry	#ssbn
105:n:listen:reserved:NULL,timod,:/usr/net/servers/rfs/rfsetup	#RFS

The multiple service codes (one for each node) are just a clumsy thing that
I did so that each node uses the same Dialers script to contact any other
node on the network, the dbf is from wrangler, and he "dials" service code
103 with the following:

tliuucp "" "" NLPS:000:001:103\N\c

This obviously works with the uucp on the other end since -i specifies the
TLI interface and the 103 in the Dialers script says to use service code
103 on the receiver side.  This is all well and good, service code 105 is
RFS but I must confess I don't understand it well enough to be able to make
the next step.  Further, the AT&T, Interactive, and NCR examples are silent
with regard to what I want to do.  I can make a rather standard socket style
server and client connection and it works, but that's not what I'm trying to
do this time.

I would like to have the uucp machine (wrangler) contact the (planned) news
machine (ssbn) in a fashion similar to RFS and uucp and pour a news batch
into ssbn's rnews.  Since RFS and HDB uucp don't say how their clients get
hold of their servers or what they talk about, I'll ASSume that the TLI
listener gets the NLPS:000:001:103\0 and that means "do what ever you need
for service code 103", which comes from /usr/net/nls/net_spec/dbf,  and the
slave uucico sets its interface to TLI and they proceed.  There is nothing,
however, that explains what the fields are in the NLPS string (so how'd I
figure out how to make it work?  lucky guesses...) or what they mean other
than the service code right before the NULL.  Further, there isn't anything
that explains how you get connected such that you can pass in some kind of
string like this to get the listener to fork a server for you.

If I could learn more about it I think I could put a wrapper around it and
call it rnews on wrangler and connect it to the "real" rnews on ssbn.  I
already know how to do it with remsh but I'd prefer to do it like uucp and
RFS do it through the TLI listener.  Can anyone point me somewhere where I
might part the kimono and figure this out?  Moreover, even if I did part
the kimono, I'm not sure if I'd be looking at the front or the back...
--
Bill Kennedy  uucp      {att,cs.utexas.edu,pyramid!daver}!ssbn.wlk.com!bill
              internet    bill at ssbn.WLK.COM   or ssbn!bill at attmail.COM