Performance of 80486 based machines running Unix

Chin Fang fangchin at leland.Stanford.EDU
Sun Jun 23 15:56:30 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun23.051631.20763 at jwt.UUCP>, john at jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:
|> In article <1991Jun22.064103.15333 at leland.Stanford.EDU> fangchin at leland.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) writes:
|> >As most readers of this group know, you can run 386 Unix with X11R4 on
|> >top in 8 megs quite comfortably, at least when there is only one user
|>
|> and you're not running Motif.  I had my first close encounter with Motif
|> last week, and was appalled to see one xterm and one Motif demo start an
|> 8 meg system swapping.

Hmm... I only said X11R4, which usually implies the standard distribution from
MIT.  I guess you agree?

Welcome to the age of FAT (fat applications trendy).  I often tell people, women
included of course, that a particular three letter word is worse than any four letter words.

One time I ran SUN's Openwin on a SPARC 1+ with only 8 megs, result?

the poor HD got such a superb work out that even Jean Fonda would feel jealous!

Yo'al have a nice weekend.

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University