help with isc 3.2

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Sat Jun 15 23:20:27 AEST 1991

phil at lgnp1.ls.com (Phil Eschallier) writes:

>i am looking for a few, hopefully simple, answers to some question about
>the isc 3.2 (2.1) package.

You should read the FAQ posting for this group. If you don't have a copy
lying around, let me know and I willl send you one.

>	1. when trying to configure a serial port for bi-directional
>	   modem usage, i kept getting "INIT respawning too rapidly".

Answered in the FAQ.

>	3. is isc's sendmail worth anything??  when invoked it would just
>	   hang, even when trying use the test mode (sendmail -bt) ...
>	   i plan to replace the sendmail with sendmail 5.65b+IDA but i'd
>	   like to be able to get the machine up and running for a few
>	   days and not be under the gun to replace software.  i am sure
>	   a number of folks out there will say "just get smail 3.1" but
>	   i would like to use sendmail -- just my preference.

we use sendmail with no problems on our system.  The only things we
did to get it working (if I remember correctly - we did this 2 years
ago) was some minor changes to the sendmail.cf file and (this is the
tricky part) copy /usr/lib/sendmail to /bin/rmail (a link would have
sufficed, but /usr is a different filesystem).

Here is the diffs to our sendmail.cf.  Note that I did not spend much
time on this other than to get it working, so there may be some
changes that were unnecessary, or vice-versa.  One thing that I
know that doesn't work is that if we send email to user at host it doesn't
get forwarded to uunet for resolution.   One day I may get time
to play with it.

*** /usr/lib/sendmail.cf.or	Fri Aug  4 16:38:39 1989
--- /usr/lib/sendmail.cf	Wed Dec 12 11:23:39 1990
***************
*** 31,37 ****
  # it will will be turned into $D.
  # HOSTNAME needs to be modified for each site (if there is no ethernet).

! Dwunix
  DDUUCP
  CDLOCAL local uucp

--- 31,37 ----
  # it will will be turned into $D.
  # HOSTNAME needs to be modified for each site (if there is no ethernet).

! Dwvirtech
  DDUUCP
  CDLOCAL local uucp

***************
*** 57,63 ****
  # addresses which didn't resolve locally.

  # R is used as the ethernet relay host, S
! DRrelay

  #
  #  End Local configuration options
--- 57,65 ----
  # addresses which didn't resolve locally.

  # R is used as the ethernet relay host, S
! # DRrelay
! #changed by scum on 12/12/90
! DRuunet

  #
  #  End Local configuration options
***************
*** 257,264 ****
  # remove these if you just want general disposition.  HINTS.

  # Designated delivery:
! R$*<@$=U.UUX>$*		$#uux$@$2$:$1$3			known uucphost
! R$*<@$=U$+.UUX>$*	$#uux$@$2$:$1@$2$4		known uucphost
  R$*<@$=E$+.ETHER>$*	$#ether$@$2$:$1@$2$4		known etherhost
  R$*<@$+.ETHER>$*	$#ether$@$2$:$1@$2$3		etherhost

--- 259,266 ----

! R$*<@$=U.UUX>$*		$#smail$@$2$:$1$3			known uucphost
! R$*<@$=U$+.UUX>$*	$#smail$@$2$:$1@$2$4		known uucphost

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170