ISC TCP/IP 1.2 hangs?

Todd Ogasawara todd at pinhead.pegasus.com
Wed Jun 19 11:39:09 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun17.201915.12498 at pinhead.pegasus.com> todd at pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
]In article <1991Jun06.224153.209 at pinhead.pegasus.com> todd at pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
]]I'm having a problem with ISC's TCP/IP 1.2 and wanted to get some
]]confirmation before I make a call to ISC and start complaining...

]I received a number of replies (including one from a person at ISC)
]confirming that this is a known problem (sigh)... A few other folks
]suggested a way to get TCP/IP back without rebooting though. My TCP/IP hung
]again this morning (after behaving for 10 days). Here is what I ended up
]doing.
]
]	login as root on the console
]	issue an 'init 1' to bring the system down to single user mode
]	request an 'init 2' from the single user menu
]	go to multiuser mode using ^D
]	issue an 'init 3' as root after getting back to multi user mode

Well, I spoke too soon... ISC TCP/IP 1.2 hung twice more today and the
procedure I described above didn't work. I had to run /etc/shutdown and
reboot the machine to get TCP/IP working again.

It also appears that this problem is not uncommon and has been around since
version ISC TCP/IP 1.0. This implies that I should not expect it to work
any better when ISC TCP/IP 1.3 comes out.

I'm not sure I can live with ISC TCP/IP hanging on me even as infrequently
as once a week (let alone twice a day). I've heard that SCO's TCP/IP is
pretty solid. Does anyone know if it will work with ISC UNIX 2.2? If not,
are their any recommendations for another vendor's TCP/IP? Maybe
Wollongong?

--
Todd Ogasawara ::: Hawaii Medical Service Association
Internet       ::: todd at pinhead.pegasus.com
Telephone      ::: (808) 536-9162 ext. 7