problems backup up the boot disk

Steve Gamble stgamble at lion.waterloo.edu
Sun Jun 2 08:52:55 AEST 1991

Hello out there.

I am running interactive unix, version 2.2, and am having problems
creating a boot disk.  I want to back up the install boot disk;
however, the original is a 5 1/4" disk, and the destination is a
3 1/2" disk.  Can i do this?  This is what i have tried:

	1) using cpdisk in the sysadm menu.  when the copy
	is booted, it comes up with a "file not found:
	/etc/intiprog/identify" error message, and stops.
	2) using volcopy.  I can't mount the boot disk, so
	this method doesn't work.
	3) using various incantations of dd.  Leaves me with the
	same problem as 1, if i assume the destination is a 3 1/2"
	drive.  If i say the destination is a 5 1/4" (when it is really
	3 1/2) the system gives the same error message, garbled with
	control characters.

I'm really stuck.  Can anyone out there give me a hand?  how do i
back up the boot diskette to a different sized medium?