fsck Recovery From Crashes

Albert Langer cmf851 at anu.oz.au
Thu Jun 6 17:01:29 AEST 1991

In article <4Jun91.144729.1340 at franklin.com> bill at franklin.com (bill) writes:

>: I have an awk script adapted from one by Tony Moraes, which
>: converts an ls -alR listing into the same style as "find".
>: It would be easy to use ls -ailR and include the inode number
>: in the output and sort on that.
>
>Urk. Why go to all the hassle?
>
>	find $dir -mount -print | xargs ls -di
>
>gets you inode,file in a neat listing.

True. The awk script was developed for processing the output of
ftp ls commands where it is only possible to run ls but not find.
(It also processes dates into a uniform sortable format instead
of the different handling of recent and ancient dates by ls -l).

While it would not be worth writing for the inode directory, I
imagine it is probably more efficient than running ls on each
small batch of file names with xarg.

I also suggested the find -ls option which would be yet more
efficient where available and ff which would be the
most efficient.

Don't forget he's planning to run this every day on every file.

--
Opinions disclaimed (Authoritative answer from opinion server)
Header reply address wrong. Use cmf851 at csc2.anu.edu.au