Problems w/ Compaq tape drive under ODT 1.1

Wu Liu wul at sco.COM
Sun Jun 9 09:47:43 AEST 1991

/--jonn at sunriver.com said...
| We are having a problem running a compaq tape drive on a Compaq
| Deskpro under ODT 1.1.  The interface card is set up for IRQ 5,
| Wangtek type, DMA channel 3 on instructions from Compaq, and linked
| the kernal with those settings under mkdev tape.  Unfortunately, the
| tape drive still will not work.  When I try and do 'tape status', it
| says that /dev/xct0 is an unknown device or address.  I really need to
| get this tape drive working soon.  Anyone out their have any
| suggestions?  Email or reply here, as you think appropriate.
\--

Does the controller show up on a hardware listing (i.e. on the boot
screen or via hwconfig)?  If not, the kernel can't find the controller.
If so, it's probably a mismatch in the I/O address.

My guess is that it's an I/O address mismatch; what I/O address do you
have it set for?  The Compaq controllers I've configured only have two
settings for I/O address (0x200 or 0x300), IRQ (3 or 5), and DMA (1 or
3).  The default I/O address for the cartridge tape driver is 0x338,
so try reconfiguring the tape driver to use 0x200 or 0x300, whatever
the controller is set for, and see if that helps.
--
Wu Liu -- Member, Technical Staff       The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.
UUCP:      ...!uunet!sco!wul            400 Encinal St.