Mapping abs sector numbers to files

Marco S Hyman marc at dumbcat.sf.ca.us
Thu Jun 6 16:53:11 AEST 1991

I haven't found this in TFM yet -- perhaps the net can help.  Given an error
message that says something like "SCSI absolute sector 1234 on drive 1 is bad"
how can I map this sector number to a file/directory/(inode!).  I've looked at
/etc/partitions and can figure out what partition the error is in (I think)
but the intricacies of fsdb escape me.  Perhaps there is more doc than the man
page available?  Some other hidden gem?  Something so obvious I'll be forever
embarrassed that I missed it?  Anything!

Any and all help gladly accepted.

// marc
--
// home: marc at dumbcat.sf.ca.us		pacbell!dumbcat!marc