Mapping abs sector numbers to files

Marco S Hyman marc at dumbcat.sf.ca.us
Sat Jun 22 15:31:30 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun20.172754.13086 at newshost.anu.edu.au> cmf851 at anu.oz.au (Albert Langer) writes:
 > Why do you agree that auto bad sector mapping is undesirable?

The problem is that many have never seen automatic re-mapping (no matter what
the book says :-).  If remaping only occurs after a recoverable error with the
new sector written with the old data (as the manuals imply) this would be a
good thing.

However.  Given my hardware/software I'm seeing a bogus hard error that, if it
occurs at just the wrong time, causes a panic.  Note: The data is just fine.

A previous poster mentioned that most SCSI drives could be mode selected to do
automatic bad sector mapping.  Excuse my ignorance: How do I do this?

// marc
--
// home: marc at dumbcat.sf.ca.us		pacbell!dumbcat!marc
// work: marc at ascend.com		uunet!aria!marc