Getty for ISC/Telebit T-2500 w/autobaud via the CONNECT msg?

karln at uunet.uu.net karln at uunet.uu.net
Tue Jun 18 00:27:48 AEST 1991

In article <qaJN42w164w at aegis.or.jp> davidg%aegis.or.jp at kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) writes:

>about everything you need to set the speed. I modified the orignal
>getty 2.0 to only lock the speed on a CONNECT with error checking
>but otherwise let it run free as locking the speed with non-error
>checking connects really screws up their ability to stop/start
>scrolling without hideous amounts of overrun (with all modems, but
>particularly with those like the Telebit which have huge buffers).

   That point about over-run has only been a problem, in my experience,
when the serial driver/modem is NOT using CTS/RTS hardware flow
control. For this I was told to get FAS 2.08 as the stock ISC
asy drivers did not handle it.

>their and dialout. Maybe I'm missing something here because getty
>2.0 can look for a lock on the port and won't try and init the
>modem if it's already in use, but if getty 2.0 has the port and is
>waiting for the CONNECT and you go and run cu or something that
>dials out, getty starts interpreting things to the confusion of all.

   In ISC and or FAS, I thought the trick about that one was that
there are two different /dev/tty?? devices to use. In ISC
there are even three if I remeber right.

  1: tty00   for terminals ?
  2: ttyd0   for getty waiting for dialin ..
  3: acu00   for cu looking to dialout while getty has ttyd0.

  in FAS ... ummm ..

  1: ttyf0 for dialin
  2: ttym0 for dailout  (Probably wrong, but its something)

  So have you tried that? I've seen it work real nice. I think
it is an easy point to miss if you are used to the uugetty fashion.

>locked-uugetty line and 3 running getty 2.0 which interpret the
>CONNECT string. A further feature of is that there is no need for
>users to hit RETURN so magic number of times; getty 2.0 picks up
>the CONNECT string and will generate a configureable signon banner.

   I'm a gonna havta look into this getty 2.0 thing.