Thinking about buying UNIX for home, be careful w/ Dell

Madison MadMan Miles seth at gn.ecn.purdue.edu
Tue Jun 11 08:28:41 AEST 1991

First of all, I want to thank all the people who helped me with my
decision about which UNIX to buy. However, I found out a couple of
things the hard way the no one told me.
After all the mail that people sent me about their opinion on which
UNIX is the best to buy for home, I made a decision and bought one.
I bought Dell's SYS V ver 4. Mainly because of the reason the several
people said good things about them, and the info they sent me was
very thorough and complete. Or at least that's what I thought. I
decided to purchase Dells UNIX. I got it in the mail today. But to
my surprise, It was on a 150 meg tape. Along with one 3.5" disk for
installation. And yes, I don't own a tape drive, and no noone rents
them. I called Dell, and they told me that this is the only way that
they are packaging the software. MY choice, buy a tape drive or return
UNIX. Well, I finially decided to buy a tape drive from them for $799
I bought it from them, because I'm not an expert on tape drives and
there are a lot of different types out there.
Anyway, to make a long story short, instead of getting a great
operating system for $995, like they advertise, I'm having to pay
$1800. Don't get me wrong, but I think that what I'm getting from
Dell seems like a great version of UNIX, but I was mislead in what
I had to pay for what I got. No where  in the information that I was
given was I ever told what system I need. I was expecting 50 disks in
the mail and instead I just got 1 tape.
If you have 8 megs RAM minimum
150 megs hard drive space
150 meg tape drive and VGA

Now if you have all that and are looking for UNIX then Dell is great.
For $995, it has everything that SCO and ESIX have, and you don't have
to pay for extra add on like you do for SCO and ESIX. Dell comes with
all the things that one will ever need. It even says that it is BSD
compatible, but I'll wait to believe that when I see it.
However, If you don't have a 150 meg tape drive or 8 megs RAM, then
don't buy Dell, or upgrade your system. No where in there information
do they tell you about what system you need, or what media is comes on
Also, the only manual you'll get from Dell is a small although well
written installation manual. Everything else, you have to buy from
them separately. They do have a good selection of manuals, but I bet
the prices will be bad, but this is unconfirmed.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to trash Dell or there products.
They are a very friendly company, and there UNIX products seems to be
one of the best on the market, but just be careful when you see that
low $995 price. There's a big catch to it, and they know it. I just
hope that a few more of us know it now. All responses welcome.

				Madison Miles
				seth at gn.ecn.purdue.edu