Advice on Gateway2000/ESIX System

Richard Foulk richard at pegasus.com
Sat Jun 15 10:23:30 AEST 1991

>I am considering buying a Gateway 2000 (33MHz-486, 8Mb RAM, SVGA,
>200Mb Disk) and ESIX SVR4.  Anybody have experience with this
>configuration? Comments?  Suggestions?

Gateway has a 30-day return policy, so buy the OS first then order the
computer, and send it back if it doesn't work.

Gateway will tell you what parts they will use to build your machine,
and within some limits they will often let you choose the motherboard,
video card, etc.  So find out what they use and then check to make
sure Esix has support for it.

This same scheme will probably work with most reputable vendors.  If
a vendor won't tell you what parts he uses or doesn't provide a 30-day
return policy it's probably best to buy elsewhere.

Make sure Esix supports *all* of the cards and peripherals your system
will come with.

Richard Foulk		richard at pegasus.com