DELLs R4

Frank I. Reiter Frank at mindlink.bc.ca
Thu Jun 20 00:55:27 AEST 1991

> Frank at mindlink.bc.ca writes:
>
> Two different people from Dell have been in touch with me - one to say that
> it
> will work and one wanting to know who it was that wouldn't tell me in the
> first
> place.  If their response to queries by existing customers is as good then
> I'm
> getting more interested all the time.

I've had yet another phone call - this time telling me that the Archive tape
drive is definitely NOT supported by Dell R4.  It will work for the
installation of R3, but not R4.

I asked if there were any plans to add such support and the fellow I was
speaking with (Ray) explained that Dell is not primarily a unix house and does
not have much of a margin on their unix packages.  They sell their unix as a
way to better sell and support their hardware.  "We can't make any money fixing
other people's hardware compatibility problems" he told me.

(Folks at Dell please feel free to correct me if I've misrepresented anything)

This leaves me a little unsure about the advisability of putting Dell unix on
non-Dell hardware.  On the one hand reviews seem pretty good and Dell seems
very helpful - and on the other hand they are very frank about wanting to sell
Dell Unix for Dell hardware.

Frank.
Frank I. Reiter                UUCP:  ...!van-bc!rsoft!frank
Reiter Software Inc.       INTERNET: frank at mindlink.bc.ca (prefered)
Surrey, British Columbia             frank at rsoft.bc.ca