Mapping abs sector numbers to files

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Mon Jun 10 23:47:14 AEST 1991

del at fnx.UUCP (Dag Erik Lindberg) writes:

>I don't think this is what was asked.  Marco wants to find out which *file*
>is corrupt because of the bad sector.  And I can relate to his problem,

Your right, I misread the questiong.

>having had a similar problem on a customer machine.  Given the bad sector
>error, it is trivial to 'mkpart' the sector into the bad sector list,
>but how do you insure the file system is ok without restoring from a tape?

If a backup is available, I would low level format the drive and reload the
system.  My reasoning for this is that if one sector goes bad, it is likely
that more will follow.  A low level format (along with correct entry of
the manufacturers bad sector list) usually goes a long way towards ensuring
that you don't have the same problem again (although, given time it will
probably happen again).

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170