Question concerning GCC and COFF encapsulation (ESIX)

mdm at cocktrice.uucp mdm at cocktrice.uucp
Sun Jun 16 15:05:43 AEST 1991

I am attempting to bring up GCC using the COFF encapsulation
tools which come with the binutils. I have compiled and installed
all of the tools as described for COFF encapulation, however something
is missing. This is on a machine running ESIX 3.2.D. I am working with
gcc 1.40, binutils 1.9, and gas 1.38 (all fairly new).

I can get a program to output "hello world\n" when using the function
write(); however, this same program will not function when I attempt
to use printf(). I have single stepped through the resulting binary
with sdb at the instruction level, and it does push what appear to
be the correct arguments on the stack. However when the code jumps into
what appears to be printf, a few instructions are executed and then
a return follows which causes an exit with no output.

Is there a trick necessary for the conversion of libc.a for it to function
properly, or did I miss something simple? Evidently, some things are (ie
calls to system functions) working.

Thanks.

Mike Mitchell		                          Email: mdm at cocktrice.uucp
2020 Calle Lorca #43	                          Phone: (505) 471-7639 H
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505	                         (505) 473-4482 W