ISC X11 1.2, Logitech serial mouse, FAS 2.08 combo?

Bill Campbell bill at camco.Celestial.COM
Mon Jun 10 14:01:11 AEST 1991

In <TQORKNQ at geminix.in-berlin.de> gemini at geminix.in-berlin.de (Uwe Doering) writes:

>ckp at grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:

:>I'm sure I've seen the topic arise before, but it's been a while, and
:>I wasn't concerned about the answer at the time so I didn't pay
:>attention...   However, I'm now trying to get the Logitech serial mouse
:>working through FAS 2.08 for ISC X11R3 1.2.  Oh, and yes I have
:>NS16550A's in there.  Thanks.

:Switch your mouse to Mouse Systems mode and tell your programs that
:you have a Mouse Systems mouse. That should work.

:BTW, I still don't know what special tricks the Logitech mouse driver
:is doing that don't work with FAS. If anyone found out what's going
:on I'd like to hear about it.

Having just spent all afternoon Friday trying to get a new
Logitech trackball running under Xenix 2.3.3 and VP/IX 1.2 with
no luck I read ``Welcome to comp.unix.sysv386'' and what should
be the last item?
	31.	Why doesn't my brand spanking new Logitech mouse work?

The answer (from Conor P Cahill uunet!virtech!cpcahil):
	``This is caused by the fact that Logitech (in their infinite
	wisdom) changed from emulating a Mouse Systems mouse to
	emulating a Microsoft mouse.  So if you want to use one of
	the new mice, configure it as a Microsoft mouse.

	NOTE:  If you are using an older Logitech mouse and sometimes
	have problems getting ISC's X to communicate with it,
	reconfigure it as a Mouse Systems mouse and all your problems
	will go away.''

I haven't tried this yet, but will in the morning when I go back
to the client site.  I HOPE LIKE HELL IT WORKS!

Bill
--
INTERNET:  bill at Celestial.COM   Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
UUCP:   ...!thebes!camco!bill   6641 East Mercer Way