Number of users on SCO

Ti Kan ti at bazooka.Altos.COM
Sun Jun 30 03:23:00 AEST 1991

In article <665 at fudd.dataco.UUCP> campbell at bung.UUCP (Duncan Campbell, VOR) writes:
>Howdy, can anyone tell me how many user accounts SCO SystemV 3.2.2
>can support?  100? 1000? more? less?  Just accounts, not simultaneous
>use.

That depends upon the length of the account names.  SCO UNIX's sysadmsh
has a braindead behavior where it adds all accounts you create into
the /etc/group file under "group" by default.  As a result, the group
line can get quite long after you add a hundred accounts or so.  So
long that you can't vi it.  Sysadmsh shell has internal buffer limits
that if the group line exceeds it, it will either core dump or
otherwise misbehave.  The typical limit is about 100 to 150 accounts
before this happens (the group line exceeds 1024 bytes long).  I
don't recommend removing entries from the group file however, since
with all that security magic, even in relaxed mode, you might mess
something up.

-Ti
--
   ///   Ti Kan
  ///    Internet: ti at bazooka.altos.com
 /////   UUCP:     ...!{uunet|sun|sco|apple|amdahl|pyramid}!altos!bazooka!ti
///      vorsprung durch technik!