Thinking about buying UNIX for home, be careful w/ Dell

Larry Snyder larry at nstar.rn.com
Mon Jun 17 10:07:40 AEST 1991

pbash at csn.org (Paul Bash) writes:

>Well, this is my two cents worth being a reasonably satisfied Dell SVR4
>user. For your $995 you got a *good* UNIX but not a great one. I'd venture
>to guess that most SVR4 systems from any distributor aren't great at this
>stage of SVR4's development. In general, the number of things that don't
>quite work as documented are surprising. Given that, and comparing prices
>with SVR3 systems configured with the same options (TCP/IP NFS, development
>tools, X11R4, documentation tools, DOS MERGE, etc) I have to admit I feel
>it was a pretty good deal. Its just not quite ready for the faint at heart,

Dell's package includes the most for the price - how many of the other
vendors throw in Merge, Motif, and a good selection of the GNU software
all compiled and ready to run for 995 (1295 unlimited users)?

--
      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis