A couple of questions

SCST86 at LIVERPOOL.AC.UK SCST86 at LIVERPOOL.AC.UK
Thu Jun 6 07:04:37 AEST 1991

Hi There,
   I find myself in a position where I'm able to purchase a Unix based PC
system and I was look for a bit of advice...

1. I was thinking of a 486 at 25Mhz, 8Mb, 180Mb HD (SCSI): Any good?
2. I need to run a maximum of 4 terminals (dumb) off it. Do I have to
   purchase other special Xenix intelligent serial cards? Or would
   normal PC type work OK?
3. Can SCO Unix (the OS I was thinking about) support multiple terminals,
   or do I have to buy a special #-user version?
4. What do I get with SCO Unix? I read somewhere that SCO were including
   Ingres and some Dos-under-Unix software?
5. How much are the versions of Unix? (Dollars or pounds... Just a 'ball-park'
   figure.)
6. Do I need any particular SCSI controller? I hear Unix OS's on PCs do a good
   deal of hardware-bashing.

Ooops. This message turned out to be a little longer than I'd expected.

I hope you can help. Thanks in advance.

Jason Timmins                My Card.... +-------------------------+
Dept. Of Computer Science,               |                         |
University Of Liverpool.                 |      Jason Timmins      |
JANET: SCST86 at UK.AC.LIV.IBM              | (Unix - Eat my Shorts!) |
   OR: SCST86 at UK.AC.LIV.UXA              |                         |