cu/ecu through TCP/IP (plus ecu porting status)

Barnacle Wes wes at harem.clydeunix.com
Sat Jun 1 08:13:19 AEST 1991

In article <1061 at aega84.UUCP>, lh at aega84.UUCP (L. Hirschbiegel) writes:
> [Discussion of ioctl's not working across RFS on heterogeneous
> machines...]
> Our RFS server is of course the same type of machine (all Compaqs)
> running the identical os version.
> But anyway: the structs used by the ioctl's should never be dependend
> on the type of cpu - as long as it is all SysV.3 or SysV.4 (and this
> IS in fact the limiting factor for RFS:-). I didn't find any differences
> in struct termio (which is obviously used here) depending on the
> version of SysV.

The C code for the structure is not the problem; the problem comes with
such things as byte order and data element alignment.  One machine may
stick "gaps" of unused memory in the middle of a struct - such as the
MIPS where nearly everything gets aligned on a 4-byte (32-bit word)
boundary.  And, of course, if you try to go from a little-endian to a
big-endian (say, Intel to Motorola) cpu without byte-swapping, you're
really screwed.

> To conclude, we have used shared serial devices via RFS very extensively
> with almost zero problems, but the question still remains: can it be
> done with an RS6000? (Think this was the original posters equipment).
> If there is no RFS for the beast the problem is void.

I Dunno, but I doubt it.  What's the byte order on the RS?

	Wes Peters
--
#include <std/disclaimer.h>                               The worst day sailing
My opinions, your screen.                                   is much better than