Cursor keys, curses, and SCO-Unix

mike.stefanik mike at bria.UUCP
Sun Jun 16 07:33:03 AEST 1991

In an article, rbraun at spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>Is there any magic to writing portable, lowest-common-denominator curses
>code?  Should I scrap the keyboard input code and write my own escape-
>sequence parser, which would be less work than writing a whole display
>output driver?

Use only the original curses functions, which lacked the attrxxx functions
and only supported the _STANDOUT attribute.  Since color has not been
introduced to all implementations of curses, avoid it.  If you don't like
the termcap definition, copy it, modify it, and use the TERMCAP variable
to point to it.

Not useful for snazzy looking screens, but then again, you did ask for portable
lowest-common-denominator curses code, did you not?

--
Mike Stefanik, MGI Inc., Los Angeles -- Opinions stated are never realistic!
"To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards out of men." -Lincoln