SCO NFS dies when heavily used

Michael R. Miller mrm at nss1.simpact.com
Fri Jun 7 03:10:47 AEST 1991

We are having a problem with our SCO NFS package.  It seems that when
we start doing large amounts of NFS work, the NFS and the TCP/IP just
simply dies. There are streams resources available when this happens.

The SCO OS/NFS is exporting its directory.  A SUN OS/NFS is importing
the directory.  Large numbers of reads and writes are going back and
forth for some time -- sometimes just a few minutes to an hour, other
times a couple of days -- and then the software decides to lay over
and play dead.  We need to reboot the machine to breath life into its
networking support.

The SUN's NFS continues to operate although that window is "dead"
with the program running in the window waiting for a never-to-be-answered
NFS request.  We have determined that the SUN isn't at fault by successfully
reading and writing another NFS mounted directory exported by another SUN.
The SUN is an OS 4.1 product.

The SCO is UNIX 3.2.  It's running on an AST Premium 33MHz 8Meg computer.
The hard disk has plenty of space left on it when it dies.  Our network
card is a WD8003.

Please email responses to me.  I will summarize what I receive plus a
description of how we resolved the problem after we resolve the problem.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Michael R. Miller
Simpact Associates, Inc.