Running 286 Xenix on a 386

Curt Sampson curt at cynic.wimsey.bc.ca
Sun Jun 23 16:31:14 AEST 1991

I'm currently running SCO Xenix 2.3.2 on a 12 MHz 286 machine.  I need
more CPU power, so I want to upgrade my motherboard.

Now, there are 25 MHz 286 motherboards available, but I'll probably be
selling this system eventually and buying a workstation, so I was
thinking that it might be a better idea to get a 25 MHz 386DX, which
would hold more of its value.

I talked to a friend who ran 286 Xenix on a 386 motherboard and he
said that he had a problem with compress that would cause the system
to crash, and had to upgrade to 386 Xenix right away.  I don't have
the money to do this at the moment, and I'd rather not spend the money
at all if I can avoid it.

Has anybody else out there run a 286 Xenix on a 386?  Are there any
differences between the 286 and the 386 (and their associated support
circuitry) that should cause problems?  Dare I try this?

I'm redirecting followups to comp.unix.xenix.sco.

cjs
--
"I suspect the principle difference between us is that I spend a lot of time
walking around the tree trying to find the best way to shake it while you are