vi problems when using telnet

Gordon Marwood marwood at ncs.dnd.ca
Sat Jun 8 12:41:27 AEST 1991

I have recently acquired an Interactive 2.2.1 system after using an Ultrix
machine for some years.  When using telnet from one machine to the other,
vi does not work properly.  The problem occurs when I get to the last
line on the bottom of the screen.  The text does not scroll properly
after this point.  Cntrl-B, cntrl-F or re-write screen (cntrl-L) work
fine, but cntrl-D or cntrl-U cause the cursor to move to the wrong place
on the screen and some of the lines are not displayed corrrectly.  :set
all causes the list of set functions to be printed one line on top of the
other, on the last line.

The above behaviour happens when running vi on the Ultrix machine and
telneting from the Interactive machine over ethernet.  It also happens
to vi on the Interactive machine, if I dial in with Procomm Plus (via an
Annex dial-up server) to the Ultrix machine and then telnet to the
Interactive machine.  In the first case the terminal is set to "AT386"
to be compatible with the PC which is running Interactive, and in the
second case the terminal is set to "vt100" (in both cases on both
machines).

Any help to sort out this problem would be appreciated.

Gordon Marwood
Internet: marwood at ncs.dnd.ca