unx273 patch for SCO

Paul Barton-Davis pauld at cs.washington.edu
Fri Jun 14 03:47:28 AEST 1991

I work as a consultant for a medium sized company that is using SCO
Unix 3.2.2 to run an almost real-time control system for film sorting.
The system has custom device drivers to control motors, IR sensors and air
driven latches, as well as a multi-process user-space program that
actually controls the machinery. It also runs a PICK database across
NFS to a Motorola 8800 box that interfaces with the motor controller.

We began to have some problems about a week ago when one of the custom
drivers began flaking out in a call to the kernel putc() routine, to
be followed shortly (a few seconds/minutes) later by a panic.
After calling SCO, they sent us an SLS disk (unx273) which was
supposed to correct a problem with the kernel clists. They were not
very specific about what the problem was, or how it was fixed.

We are still having problems which may or may not be related to the
same thing (the putc() crapout is gone, but we still get other wierd
effects that we saw before). I'm now wondering if anyone can tell me
more about what the problem was that unx273 fixed ?
--
Paul Barton-Davis                                 <pauld at cs.washington.edu>

Man has survived because he did not know how to realize his wishes.
Now that he can realize them, he must either change them, or perish.