dialTBIT and T2500 Puzzle

Greg Andrews gandrews at netcom.COM
Tue Jun 18 15:09:35 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun15.181530.21573 at csn.org> daveh at csn.org (Dave Hughes) writes:

>We are setting up a Telebit T2500 using SCO Unix 3.2.2 and the dialTBIT
>program that SCO provided with the release. (Which won't even compile on the
>SCO Unix system unless I comment out the 'nap' lines). We are trying
>to use the T2500, UUCP link to T2500s at Colorado Supernet (csn.org)
>running on Suns, for UUCP, netmail, and eventually B-news.

It sure compiled for me.  Besides that, SCO provides a pre-compiled binary
with the UUCP utilities.

I'm going to cut to the chase here.  The dialTBIT provided by SCO, as the
comment header states, was written for the TrailBlazer Plus.  It will work
fine with the T2500 as long as you don't get a V.32 connection.  The modem's
"CONNECT 9600" result code is unknown to dialTBIT.  Your options are to make
a change in three or four lines of the source and recompile it, or to use a
chat script in /usr/lib/uucp/Dialers.

Telebit Tech Support has a setup guide written for exactly your situation.
It handles setup of all PEP modems to an SCO Unix system, but all of the
examples show how to hook up a T2500.  The setup guide shows how to use
a chat script for V.32 connections and dialTBIT for everything else, since
a compiler isn't present in everybody's system.

Most of the rest of your article catalogs various aspects of how different
people will tell you to configure your system.  Yes, you'll get several
answers when you ask how to do it, because, like most things on a computer,
there isn't only one way to get the job done.  I'm not going to respond to
all your questions because they are all addressed in the setup guide.

Perhaps I'm babbling too much about the guide, but I spent a lot of time
putting it together, and it's helped a lot of people get their system
running quickly.

>So what  do we do to cut through this Gordian Knot?

Call for help!  You can call Telebit modem support at 1-800-TELEBIT, or
send e-mail to modems at telebit.com to request the guide.

--
 |  Greg Andrews   |       UUCP: {apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!gandrews    |