Remote Printing

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.uucp
Sun Mar 24 14:52:54 AEST 1991

In <1991Mar20.221616.20133 at unixg.ubc.ca> Phill St. Louis writes:
>Is there a way to print from an InterActive Unix 2.2 System to printers
>attached to a Sun?  One of our Sun's is a print server to a line printer
>and 4 laser printers.  It is very easy to do this with the other Suns
>and with PC/NFS, but how do InterActive Unix Systems share printers?

While perhaps not directly related to your question, I have an lp model
file that will print on remote machines using uux.  The idea is that you
use a command such as:
    pr filename | lp -d farpoint
where farpoint is a remote printer.  The file is compressed before sending
to reduce modem usage if it isn't already compressed.  The only change
required on the remote system is to add lp(1) and uncompress(1) permissions
in uucp for your site.

I'll post to alt.sources tomorrow.  I just have to check with the guy I
stole the original stuff from but I know he won't mind me posting it.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy at druid)     |
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   There's no government