Porting PCNFSD to XENIX

E.J. Leoni-Smith leo at unipalm.uucp
Thu Mar 14 11:42:04 AEST 1991

mario at theglove.Canada.Sun.COM (Mario Dorion - Sun Montreal) writes:

>Hello Xenix folks.

>A local customer, here in Montreal, has a network of PC's, some of them
>running XENIX, most running DOS.

>They're using PC-NFS to communication between the DOS machines and the
>XENIX server.

What TCP/IP are they running on that? I only know of three - PC/TCP
from FTP software (client only) the old Fusion product from NRC and
SCO's own TCP/IP for Xenix. I was not aware that any of these (except possibly
the fusion product) supported NFS server, without which pcnfsd is a waste of
time.

Or am I missing something.

> PC-NFS comes with a program called rpc.pcnfsd that has to
>be compiled and installed on the UNIX host. This program will, among
>other goodies, enable the DOS users to remotely print onto the server's
>printers.

Only if the server has NFS capabilities.

>The rpc.pcnfsd program is supplied in source format and compiles nicely
>on a Sun Workstation or on a 'pure' BSD host. The task of making it run
>on different architectures is sort of left to the user.

Yup. I have done it for V.3 and V.4 Unixes.
BUT you need and RPC library and that comes with NFS....

>My customer needs help in porting the rpc.pcnfsd to the XENIX
>environment.

Are you sure he doesn't need to upgrade to Unix 386 including NFS support?