Western Digital Ethernet Cards

Keith Ericson keithe at sail.LABS.TEK.COM
Sun Mar 24 02:52:41 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar21.112012.17880 at news.cs.indiana.edu> mikes at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Squires) writes:
>(mail bounced)
>
>I tried briefly to use a WD8013 with an Orchid ProDesigner II; it failed to
>boot DOS (controller was a WD1007V).  Replacing it with an Oak got the system
>to boot.

I have one of the earlier (and now unavailable) WD8013EB 16-bit interface
Network Adapter cards in an Everex 486is that runs MS-DOS (4.01) and has an
Orchid ProDesigner II and an Adaptec 2322 ESDI controller card.  I works great.
HOWEVER, the WD8013EB differs from the WD8013EP (the *current* version of the
card) in that it is loaded with jumpers that let you select the IRQ and I/O
address from the full range of choices.  This is in contrast to the EP version
which permits only a couple of selections with jumpers and the remainder only
via software selection.  And my supplier didn't send the software (and I
won't be buying any more from *them*)

>On the positive side I've found the WD cards to be super reliable; we use
>the 8-bit version here in large numbers.

Agreed!  If the EP version is all that's available I may have to revert to
the WD8003 (8-bit) version to retain the jumper selectability I need.

(help *) KEITHE()

PS - our purchasing department is suggesting we not purchase WD products
     any more because of the company's shaky financial condition.  But I'm
     persisting because I really feel like they're the best deal when it
     comes to ethernet controllers (but not disk controllers - give me Adaptec
     any day).