Compiling X Clients for X386 1.1 on ESIX 3.2.D with gcc-1.39

Chin Fang fangchin at leland.Stanford.EDU
Sun Mar 3 18:36:16 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar1.173835.623 at kumr.lns.com> pozar at kumr.lns.com (Tim Pozar) writes:
>In article <18136 at cs.utexas.edu> glenn at cs.utexas.edu (Glenn G. Lai) writes:
>>I have a question about compiling X clients for X386 1.1 on ESIX 3.2.D using
>>gcc-1.39.  When I was generating the executable, the linker complained that
>>certain routines "first used in /usr/lib/X11/libX11.a" weren't defined, some
>>of which were "socket,""connect," and "gethostbyname."  I understand that such
>>routines are in "libnet.a," but when I added the "-lnet" switch, a new set of
>>undefined symbols were generated.  What's the correct way to go about this?
>
>   I talked to Jeff at Esix and he told me to line these libs:
>
>             -lX11 -lnet -lnsl_s -lc -lbsd

Since before setting up X386 v1.1, the SHLBMAX tunable parm has to be set to 8,
so one should be able to modify above to include more shared libs so that disk
space and run time memory requirement both can be somewhat reduced.  X386 v1.x
provides libX11_s.a, so it can be used.  libnet_s.a is provided by ESIX in
/shlib and /usr/lib, so are libc_s.a and libnsl_s.a.

libbsd.a is in /usr/lib only as a non-shared lib, if I remember correctly.

It is interesting to note that since ESIC SHLBMAX default is 3, so calling up
ESIX tech support, most likely one will be told that only up to three shared
libs could be used for compiling X apps.  And the /etc/conf/cf.d/mtune
shows the maximum of SHLBMAX as 6, but using 8 has not cause any problems so
far on my ESIX box (and many others').

Hmm.. after compilation and testing, how about applying cprs/mcs/strip in row
to make the client disk file as small as possible? (lots hard disk churning
however, a no fun process!)

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University