Unlimited software warranties

Robert W. Withrow witr at rwwa.COM
Thu Mar 14 10:22:50 AEST 1991

Gee Dick, I don't know if you are still talking to me, but here
goes...  ;-)

In article <1991Mar13.021244.2538 at ico.isc.com> rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>I still have worries about an unlimited-term guarantee on something that
>becomes obsolete (without wearing out) in a year or two.

What is the difference, from the point of warrantee costs, between the
two?  Do you mean that you think someone is more likely to cheat you
for something that becomes obsolete than for something that wears out?
(I assume you are talking about the `dishonest=cheating' warrantee
claim here and not the `honest' one, right?)

>OK, now I'll make a heretical observation which I know will offend a
>lot of you. Software vendors are providing what is demanded of them.
>But the overwhelming demand is NOT for reliable, efficient software!
>The demand is for features!

[ Boy am I insulted.  If I ever meet you I will punch....  Sorry, just
joking... ;-) ]

I think the demand is for ``reliable, efficient software'' that is
full of features.  This is no different from what people want in cars,
TVs, VCRs, etc...  The difference is that the car, TV, and VCR people
seem to be willing and able to supply that, whereas the software
people seem to believe it is impossible.  Even the computer hardware
suppliers are willing to supply it.  Your modern 386 PC is cheap,
reliable, fast, and loaded with features.

>Pick a pair of vendors in any software market...Look at what they're
>advertising...

Yep.  They have all missed the boat on this...

>An unsatisfied customer is better than none at all!  If people buy
>from you based on features, and only forsake you if you do a really
>bad job, then clearly the way to maximize your customer base (hence
>revenue) is to provide the minimal level of support required to keep
>from losing customers--let 'em grumble all they want, but stop 'em
>short of leaving--and put the rest of the effort into features.

This is proabably *exactly* what they are thinking.  But I think this
is yet another example of the old ``short sighted American
Managment''.  I think research indicates that mose people will repeat
their business with a supplier, even when other suppliers have more
``features'' or whatever, unless they are *dissatisfied* with the
current supplier.  I think you are seeing customers jump ship due to
dissatisfaction and confounding it with a desire for new features.

>I've ranted enough...OK, if you think I'm full of it, I'd be glad to be
>shown wrong.

Unfortunately, for us buyers, you are not wrong about the supplier
side of the equation.  However,

>Show me where and how quality is succeeding in the software
>marketplace.

there *are* stirling examples where people *do* make a profit by good
customer service.  Probably the best example is MECA and MYM.  Yeah,
there are a few people who are unhappy, but they sell a lot of
software, and almost no-one switches.
--
---
 Robert Withrow, R.W. Withrow Associates, Swampscott MA 01907 USA