SYSTEM ACTIVITY REPORT suggests performance degradation

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Thu Mar 21 05:57:09 AEST 1991

In article <1319 at unet.UUCP> jukoff at imram.net.com (Steve Jukoff) writes:

>'sar -u' reports:
>%idle drops to 0% and %wio increases to near 100%.

Do you have anyone running VP/ix?  It seems to be normal for it to
consume all of the system idle time even when DOS is just waiting
for a command (polling the keyboard, I suppose).

>Does anyone know what causes this condition and what can be done
>to stop it?

Try a "ps -ef" and look for processes that have used a lot of time.
You may have a program with a bug like missing EOF and continuing
to make read() system calls forever.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us