VP/ix kernel panic query

Mark W. Snitily mark at zok.UUCP
Fri Mar 8 20:58:26 AEST 1991

I just sent this into the ISC bug report email address (support at ism.isc.com)
that was recently posted here and was curious if anyone else has hit this
kernel panic too.  Just wondering if this is a common kernel panic or if I
have something misconfigured on my system.

(I know I should have written down the exact kernel panic error message, but
unforntunately I didn't.  I really don't want to crash my system again just
to reproduce the panic message.  This panic has taken down the system twice
and I have no inclination to repeat it again.)

Here's a copy of the bug report sent in to support at ism.isc.com:

To: support at ism.isc.com
From: Mark W. Snitily <mark at zok.UUCP>
Subject: VP/ix kernel panic
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 91 2:40:43 PST

Thanks for posting an email address for sending in bug reports.

Though I didn't write down the exact error message, this kernel panic bug
is *very* repeatable.  I really don't like abusing my system, so if you'd
like more details, please email and I'll gladly crash my system for you. :-)

I'm running ISC 2.2 and the VP/ix options from /usr/options are:
   VP/ix Multi-User Extension - Version 1.2
   VP/ix Environment Configuration-Version 1.2.0
   VP/ix Environment Core-Version 1.2.0
   VP/ix Environment Upgrade for Windows3.0 - Version 1.2.01
   VP/ix Environment Multi-User DOS-Version 1.2.0

Basically it's very simple, when you have a DOS partition mounted from
Unix and you "mv" a DOS file from one DOS directory to another DOS
directory (from a Unix shell), then a few seconds later the kernel will
panic.

(The panic message says something about the DOS file structure be corrupted;
attempting to free an invalid DOS entry or something like that.)

-- Mark

Mark W. Snitily                 Consulting Services:
894 Brookgrove Lane             Graphics, Operating Systems, Compilers
Cupertino, CA 95014             (408) 252-0456
mark at zok.uucp                   West Coast UUCP X11 archive site

If your mailer doesn't like the .uucp domain, these also work:
...!{mips,sgi}!zok!mark, mark%zok at mips.com, mark%zok at sgi.com