fdisk/powerdown

Randy Jarrett rsj at wa4mei.UUCP
Fri Mar 1 10:46:25 AEST 1991

In comp.unix.sysv386 you write:

>Occasionally my brother would like to use some DOS applications
>while I am away from my computer which is running ESIX.

>I would like to give him the following instructions:
>1. Turn on computer monitor.
>2. Press ALT-F1.
>3. Turn off the modem only if the lights aren't flashing.
>3. Type 'autodown'
>4. Wait for a minute until it says 'Press any key to reboot',
>   then press a key.

>What I would like is someone to tell me what commands need to
>go into the 'autodown' script which would do an fdisk to
>the dos partition and then do an immediate powerdown (without
>prompting for confirmation).

>Is this possible?

>--
>Mike Protofanousis
>msp at pronet.chi.il.us
>uunet!motcid!protofan

At work we have quite a few laptops that the sales people use. These
are setup with 60MB of dos and 140MB with Interactive.  They need to
change back and forth with this system and what I have setup for them
is a dos boot diskette.  The important things to to are in setting up
the autoexec.bat and config.sys on the boot disk.  In the config.sys
file make sure that all drivers that are loaded have complete path such
as 'device=c:\dos\vdisk.sys' and that you include 'comspec=c:\command.com'.
In the autoexec.bat file you also need to make sure that anything that calls
an external program uses complete path and the last thing in the file is
'c:'.  With this setup you only have to have your brother run shutdown,
and put the boot disk in the drive. When the system comes up he will be
in dos and everything will work properly (hopefully).

--
Randy Jarrett  WA4MEI
UUCP  ...!{emory,gatech}!wa4mei!rsj   | US SNAIL: P.O. Box 941217