Roell's X386, ET3000 & a strange monitor

Niklas Hallqvist niklas at appli.se
Thu Mar 28 03:02:06 AEST 1991

	Hello!

I've been using Roell's X386 1.1 for a while with an ET3000-
equipped VGA-controller (EIZO MDB-10, I think) and a multi-
syncin' monitor.  Everything just works great!  Now I've got
my hands upon a 19" monitor which is said to be 8514A-compatible
but I've got no data sheet for it.  Somewhere I got the impression
that it should sync on 31.5 and 35.5 kHz but that's just a rumour.
Anyway I can get it to sync vertically at 60 Hz, but horizontally
it's just plain impossible to get anything but a very skewed
screen looking something like this:

..\.....
....\...
......\.
\.......
..\.....
....\...

Where the dots are the ordinary X default background stipple
and the backslashes are what I suppose horizontal syncpulses.
I've tried to vary the Horizontal sync configuration
experimentally, with no luck.  I suppose this is what's called
a Fixed frequency monitor and from the Tutorial on X386
configuration I understand that it's a completely
different matter to configure the chip for such a monitor
than for a multisyncing one.  Do anyone outthere have an
idea how I should attack this problem?  I've got no problem
understanding the multisyncing configuration tutorial,
but the math presented there just doesn't seem to apply
to my new monitor.

			Thanks in advance
				Niklas

--
Niklas Hallqvist	Phone: +46-(0)31-40 75 00
Applitron Datasystem	Fax:   +46-(0)31-83 39 50
Molndalsvagen 95	Email: niklas at appli.se
S-412 63  GOTEBORG, Sweden     mcsun!sunic!chalmers!appli!niklas