Help with Anonymous FTP

Stu Donaldson stu at gtisqr.uucp
Wed Mar 6 11:48:41 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb21.211534.772 at ulkyvx.bitnet> rwmira01 at ulkyvx.bitnet (Rob Miracle) writes:
>Problem #1, AT&T SVR3.2.2 only allows 8 character file names, thus "anonymous"
>can not be created.  By hand editing /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow, I added the
>account as:   anonymous:x:1000:100:FTP Anonymous Account:

I used the account 'ftp' since it wouldn't have the problem.  With
this, both 'anonymous' and 'ftp' work as logins.

>anonymous account and add an account called ftp.  Now I can log in, but any
>access other than CD barfs with a message:
>
>PORT 136,165,2,12,8,17
>200 PORT command okay
>NLST
>425 Data Socket not created [0.0.0.0,0]

I had the same problem.  It doesn't tell you that there are a few
other files thatyou need to have in the ~ftp account.  This is
for Interactive Systems 2.0.2, your mileage may vary.

~ftp/bin
	ls	needed for the NLST or LIST commands in ftp to work.
	pwd	needed to get the current working directory

~ftp/dev
	null	# may not be needed, but I added it while trying to fix
		# the problem.
	tcp	# needed so the socket call within ftp can work.
	udp	# probably not needed, but I added it when I added tcp

	Note that these files in the ~ftp/dev directory will need to
	be actual devices.  Therefore, you will need to either link
	to the real /dev/* files, or use mknod to create them.

~ftp/etc
	group	# needed for group id to show up in the dir command.
	passwd	# needed for login id to show up in the dir commadn.

~ftp/shlib
	libc_s	# surprise, /bin/ls uses the shared library so this
		# is requried.

>Problem #2  It seems that the CD command can get anywhere on the system.  How
>do I restrict it to just the tree that I want it in?

ftpd will automatically do a chroot to the new directory, thus
preventing you from using CD to get to directories above ~ftp.