Rebooting Sys V/386

Tom Armistead toma at swsrv1.uucp
Fri Mar 29 05:20:56 AEST 1991

In article <563 at bigfoot.first.gmd.de> tmh at prosun.first.gmd.de (Thomas Hoberg) writes:
>In article <419 at srs.UUCP>, dlucy at srs.UUCP (Doug Lucy) writes:
>|> Is there a way to force a sys V/386 3.2 system to reboot?
>|> I need to cause a reboot from a remote login after changing
>|> the kernel with idbuild. Is there a way to do this with
>|> just shutdown? Can it be done with a call to reset the system?

You CAN use shutdown - just re-direct input from /dev/console:
   e.g.  # shutdown -i6 -g0 -y </dev/console

-i6 says rebiit
-g0 says shutdown immediately (no grace period)
-y  says don't ask me 'ary you sure?'  - This is important since input is no
    longer coming form the terminal that you're on.

Tom
--
Tom Armistead - Software Services - 2918 Dukeswood Dr. - Garland, Tx  75040