X386 1.1

Rick Summerhill rrsum at matt.ksu.ksu.edu
Sat Mar 9 00:53:40 AEST 1991

A short while ago I posted a note about X386 1.1 and several people
responded:

>>1.  I get errors from Xlib about too many clients.  I have 32 pty's and
>>    32 streams ports, so that is not the problem.  Anyone know why?
>
>Roell:What about raising NFILE in /etc/conf/cf.d/stune ? If you have this only
>Roell:set to 20 logically no more than about 13 clients can connect ...

This turned out to actually be NOFILES.  Changing from 20 to 60 Solved
the problem.  Thanks for the lead, Thomas.

>2.  Does anyone have a good 1024x768 configuration for a Sigma Legend card.
>    My monitor will go to 66 Mhz.  Can 1152x900 be used in non-interlaced
>    mode with this monitor configuration?

Thanks for the info.

>>3.  I originally installed the X386 binaries on the system with 2.2.1
>>    and then later added TCP/IP.  Now the machine locks up quite often
>>    and I lose the console.  I can get to the machine over the net, however.
>>    X drops out and doesn't reset the keyboard, so there is no control left.
>>    Moreover, I get wierd activity while trying to run clients.  For example,
>>    trying to run an xterm will fail one time and then succeed the next.
>>    Is there a progam available to reset the keyboard?  That is, one that
>>    could be run from a remote terminal, but will reset the console setup?

[Response for T. Roell]:

>a) Do never a 'kill -9' to the xserver !!! Use a 'kill -1'. Then the server
>   will gracefully exit and restore the keyboard.
>
>b) TCP/IP with many clients may use up more STREAMS buffers. Use 'netstat -m'
>   to detect the problematic buffers and increase the allocated buffers then
>   in /etc/conf/cf.d/stune.

Still haven't solved this one.  I have never done a kill on the server
and netstat reports no fails for the streams buffers.  What happens is
that the screen locks up and I have a dead keyboard.  If I login from
the net or a terminal, the server X is gone along with all clients and
the only thing remaining on the vt is the original C-shell.  The only
way I have been able to get out of this is to init to single user mode
and then to level 0.  Moreover, there are _no_ core files dumped.
Something is obviously killing the server and the shell running
.xinitrc.

Moreover, I often get strange results from doing simple things.  For example,
I might run

    xset s 2 2

from an xterm and it will report and XIO error 5 from server "L ..."
with a long line of spaces after the 'L'.  Looks like some pointer is
not pointing correctly.  Then, the next time I run it, it works fine.
I must be careful from then on, however, because it usually locks-up
soon after.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. and thanks to
those who responded about my post.

--Rick

Rick Summerhill                          Internet:  rrsum at hermzel.ksu.ksu.edu
CTA, Cardwell Hall                       Bitnet:    rrsum at ksuvm
Kansas State University                  Phone:     (913)532-6311
Manhattan, KS 66506                      FAX:       (913)532-5914