UNIX Wizzard (SCO UNIX 3.2.2 & CHASE AT16+)

Ralf U. Holighaus ralfi at pemcom.pem-stuttgart.de
Tue Mar 26 21:31:26 AEST 1991

You wouldn't believe it. Neither did I. But it's true.

I installed UNIX 3.2.2 and the newest CHASE driver on an Olivetti 386 with
a CHASE AT16+ installed.

There, I installed SCO's Office Portfolio and some applications, e.g WORD 5.0,
Professional, FoxBase Plus ...

Terminals are PC/ATs with ICE.TEN.PLUS.

All worked fine, with a mapchan file /usr/lib/mapchan/ibm.

Calling word, everyting's fine.

Calling op (Office Portfolio), everything's fine.

Calling word out of op (in a non-multiview mode, of course), it comes up fine,
works fine, but:

	Either 1 and ! or the backspace key wouldn't work.

Even stranger: getting a shell in word and leaving the shell back to word,
the problems have disappeared. All quit reproducable.

When I used the same software and emulator on a standard serial line (tty1a),
all worked fine from the beginning. So it must be a CHASE problem.

We must know that ICE.TEN.PLUS emulates a Wyse-60 perfectly, also in
PCscan mode. In our office environment the problems wouldn't occur. (We use
a digiboard multiport system).

THE STRANGEST is that all this happened with user ids 3 chars long. When
adding users with ids longer than 3 chars, all works fine. So I did a lot
of C2 security database hacking to change all user names from 3 to 4 charac-
ters. Now all works well.

IS THAT A DREAM? DOES ANYONE KNOW A GOOD REASON FOR THAT SORT OF BEHAVIOR?

Regards, still not believing what happened...

Ralf.

--
  PEM Programmentwicklungsgesellschaft    |         Ralf U. Holighaus
        fuer Microcomputer mbH            |         Technical Support