Dos and unix on same Disk

Carlo Milono cmilono at netcom.COM
Tue Mar 26 03:36:44 AEST 1991

In article <13719 at ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> justicec at handel.cs.colostate.edu (Christopher Justice) writes:
>I'm having a problem installing both AT+T System V R3.2.2 and Dos 4.0 on the
>same disk drive.  I partioned the drive (330 meg) into an 80 meg Dos
>partition and the rest for unix.  They installed succesfully, but Dos gives
>me a "General failure reading drive C:" when I try to run programs.  This
>happens irregularly.  Unix has given me a couple of "unrequested harddrive
>interrupt errors".
>
>Our computer Vendor is trying to tell us that you can not install unix
>and dos on the same drive, or possibly that dos can not take up more than
>9% of the drive.  I find this hard to believe.  If Dos and unix are on
>different partitions, it shouldn't matter.
>
>Is using Dos and unix on the same drive common?  Can you do this?  I'd like
>to hear about your experience with doing this.

My PC at home is setup with 120MB of UNIX V 3.2.3 and 32MB of DOS 3.3.  I
initialized the HDU upon booting/loading the UNIX foundation set and
requested the above mentioned partitions;  I finished loading UNIX, did
a UNIX version of FDISK, switched to the DOS partition, formatted it with
the OS, loaded my apps, and voila!

In addition, I loaded Simultask on the UNIX partition, loaded DOS (same
version), and did a 'dosslice' so that I can run DOS apps resident on
the DOS partition from the DOS emulator on the UNIX partition.  I have
had no problems.  I have seen troubles with DOS 4.0 in the following
scenarios:
	1) the machine had 'antique' BIOS
	2) the DOS was for a different machine (Compaq DOS on an ALR, e.g.)