Running Interactive UNIX w/2 80 MB HDs instead of 1 160. Acceptable?

Edward N. Kittlitz kittlitz at granite.cr.bull.com
Sat Mar 2 02:57:56 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb28.171847.2803 at lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> holtt at jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Tim Holt) writes:
>I'm setting up an Everex 386/25 Step system to run Interactive's UNIX, and
>am wondering how acceptable it would be to use 2 80 MB HDs instead of one
>large one (like a 160).

ISC installation (and perhaps some other things) assume that if you
have a "usr" filesystem, it will be on the boot disk with the "root"
filesystem. Thus, if you can get all the software you plan to use
(and which insists on being installed on the root FS or under /usr)
into 80MB, you will be OK. You can use the second disk for a "usr2"
(or multiple "usrN") filesystems. It is also possible to
make a "tmp" filesystem on the second disk and put /tmp there.

I believe that a lot of purchased software (e.g. oracle, perhaps
some compilers) expects to be in places like /bin (root filesystem)
or under /usr/bin /usr/lib ...

It is supposed to be possible to put additional swap space on the
second drive, but I have never done it.

I found several bugs in the ISC2.2 addharddisk stuff, such as
inability to cope with putting /tmp on the second disk without
fiddling the script.
--
-----
E. N. Kittlitz	kittlitz at world.std.com / kittlitz at granite.cr.bull.com
Contracting at Bull, but not alleging any representation of their philosophy.