ESIX 4.0

-Jeff Ellis jde at everex.uucp
Thu Mar 28 10:31:26 AEST 1991

I would like to give the world the compleate information about Esix 4.0,
but (I can see you saw this coming :-) I am restricted from doing so by
my bosses. What I can tell you is this (unoffically!) it will be put into
production sometime in april (most likley the end of april), It is full
SYSV R4 from the latest AT&T sources. Our beta testers have been happy
with the product. We will have X11R4, Motif and Open look will be options,
On-line manpages will be included, you can get it with or with our paper
docs, it will include nsf, SLIP, support for the ventrex TIGA card.
What else can I say? Dealers should be getting prices the first week in
april....

>From my using R4 om my desk, I have had almost no problems porting the
public domain software I use here. I have ported the following programs
to R4, C-News, ELM, Perl, BSD fortune, rn, trn, Tinymud, lpmudm, fm,
ispell, and working on others. For most of these programs all I had to do
is set CC=/usr/ucb/cc to "make" them. Some of the above programs are
use BSD Sockets (i.e. the MUD's). After using R4 I do not wish to go back
to 3.2. If only my home computer had more drive space! You will need at
least a 120 meg drive to use most of R4. The following packages will fill
a 80 meg drive: Base, Sysadm, C, Man Pages, BSD compat, inet, Nsu, Editing
and a ethernet driver. This is a problem with all versions of R4. It can
run on a 4 meg of ram but you are better with 8.

I hope this helps! I will post Pricing when I can, but don't listen to
any until then. I will post offical info when I can if you readers on
the net think it is worth the bandwith in this group.

DISCLAMER: This is all un-offical! This was posted to help 386 unix users
who have asked the questions. This posting is my opion of a helpfull
user in the "know" not as a Esix employee! Thanks!
--
Jeff Ellis		ESIX SYSTEM/V  UUCP:uunet!zardoz!everex!jde
			US Mail: 1923 St. Andrew Place, Santa Ana, CA 92705