Why can't elves cough?

John Kennedy johnk at opel.COM
Thu Mar 7 00:57:50 AEST 1991

The ELF incompatibility issue doesn't seem to be just with R4.  My client
bought some 60 AT&T 6386/25s with SVr3.2.2, whose compiler generates ELF
format.  At the same time, all the Driver.o's in the kernel were in the
COFF format.  If we installed our own drivers, compiling in the ELF format,
the kernel building utilities choked.  We had to get a AT&T to provide
us with a COFF-based Software Development System to link our drivers.

John

--
John Kennedy                     johnk at opel.COM
Second Source, Inc.