Wangtek 5099

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Sun Mar 17 02:12:21 AEST 1991

dsr at cci632.UUCP (David Roland) writes:

>Further on this topic, When I bought my 5099 off the net, the board is a pc-36.
>The ribbon cable is 50 pin (I think). Hey.. doesn't 50 pin imply SCSI?

50 pins implies that the card *probably* needes 50 lines of communication
between it and the tape controller. It does not imply what communications
protocols are being used. In fact, they may have chosen to use a 50 pin
conector because they needed 37 pins and the next number that has a highly
available set of parts was 50 (remember the 8088 and it's 8 bit parts).

The language spoken there is probably QIC-02 (or pc-02, what ever the
nomenclature acutally is).

>Or would they make it some other proprietary interface, just to be 'different'?

I don't think it was to be 'different', but rather just a different standard.

>Anyone want to enlighten me to what else I can do with this combination under
>ISC 2.0.2?

Nothing.

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170