Perstor

martin.zam marz at cbnewsb.cb.att.com
Fri Mar 1 08:09:57 AEST 1991

>Apologies if this is a FAQ, but I'm new to this group, and need a quick
>response (by email is fine).
>
>1. Does anyone have experience using the Perstor (double-your-dasd-size)
>card on a 386sx with a Seagate 200mb hard drive under Interactive's
>386/ix unix system?
>
>2. Any special drivers, etc. required with it?
>
>3. Problems with it?
>
>4. Should I buy one?
>Thanks..
>Bob Bernecky
>Snake Island Research Inc.
>
>ps: How is it with ms-dos?

Well, It work fine with ISC 2.0.2 and with DOS 4.01 for me.  I tried it
with an old non-descript 20Mbyte 80ms MFM drive, an 80 Mbyte 28ms ST4096
and a 88Mbyte 15ms ST1100.  All of the drives I tried are MFM type.  I've
heard that this also works with RLL drives, but haven't tested this.
It work flawlessly with all of these drives once I got the board replaced
with the current bios on board.

People at Perstor and Hard Drives International tried dozens of tricks
with me on the phone, but nothing short of the latest bios got me running.
I don't recall what the bios rev was but it worked flawlessly with all of
the drives above.

What kind of drive is your 200Mbyte?  I don't know of any 200Mbyte MFMs?

						Hope this helps,
						Martin Zam
						(201)564-2554