Why does Altos UNIX V "lprint" print so S L O O O W?

Bill Irwin bill at twg.bc.ca
Thu Mar 14 15:48:48 AEST 1991

[Followups to comp.unix.sysv386]

Well, another exciting challenge has come my way.  I am
configuring an Okidata 391 aux printer off the serial printer
port of a Wyse 160 terminal connected to an Altos 1000 running
Altos UNIX V.

Altos has added an extension/enhancement to the lp spooling
system called "lprint", which is supposed to use the TERM setting
to look up the entry in /etc/termcap and find the start/stop
transparent printing codes to send to the terminal in order to
print the file.  This is all working (after turning on onlcr in
stty to get the file to print on more than one line 8^( ) except
that the printer is running very slowly.  I mean, print a line -
count one, two - print another line - count one, two.

Is there some way of getting the system to burst data to the
printer faster?  The terminal is running at 38,400 bps and the
printer port is set at 9,600.  With DigiBoard ports there are
printer parameters that you can set that affect the speed and
buffer size that the port driver will work within while printing
to a local printer.  I have no idea where to start looking on
this Altos system.
--
Bill Irwin    -       The Westrheim Group     -    Vancouver, BC, Canada